Mackay Port Access, Bruce Highway to Mackay - Slade Point Road, construct new two-lane road
Mackay Port Access will provide a direct link for freight movements from the Mackay Port to the Mackay Ring Road, and west to the Bowen Basin coal fields via the Walkerston Bypass and Peak Downs Highway.
The 9.5km, 2-lane access road from the Bruce Highway at Glenella to Mackay-Slade Point Road (Harbour Road), will improve access to the Port of Mackay while addressing urban congestion in North Mackay.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Better road access
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Improves ride quality
The scope of works in the planning phase of the project includes activities such as business case development, securing the corridor, public utility relocations, implementation of environmental offset measures and associated stakeholder engagement.
This includes the investigation of:
- A 9.5-km, 2-lane urban arterial roadway, parallel to Erakala – Mackay Harbour rail line, from the Bruce Highway to Mackay–Slade Point Road (Harbour Road), including:
- The Bruce Highway interchange at Bald Hill.
- A T-intersection at Schapers Road and Valley Street and a roundabout at Mackay-Slade Point Road (Harbour Road) in the vicinity of Mount Bassett Cemetery Road.
- Underpasses at Glenella–Richmond Road, Pioneer Street and Mackay–Bucasia Road.
- Bridges crossing Jane Creek and Goosepond Creek.
The Australian and Queensland governments have jointly funded $24.7 million (Australian Government $19.76 million; Queensland Government $4.94 million) to complete the scoping phase of the Mackay Port Access project.
This approved funding is part of the $350 million commitment from the Australian Government ($280 million) and Queensland Government ($70 million) made in December 2018 to fund the delivery of the Mackay Port Access project.
Investment ID: 1170084
- Total investment
- $$350 million
- Australian Government
- $$280 million
- Queensland Government
- $$70 million
At this stage we are undertaking planning, scoping and preparation of the business case.