Mackay Ring Road
An improved link has been delivered from the south to the northern suburbs reducing traffic through Mackay.
The department has constructed a new 11.3km ring road route which connects the Bruce Highway at the Stockroute Road roundabout in the south through to the Bruce Highway, north of Mackay.
As a continuation of this project, TMR is now building the connection between Mackay Ring Road and Bald Hill Road.
The connection with Bald Hill Road will join the Mackay Northern Access Upgrade project and the future Mackay Port Access project. The connection will occur from the Bruce Highway at Glenella, in the north-west of Mackay City.
The connection aligns to the benefits of the Mackay Port Access and the completion of both projects will create a direct and relatively unimpeded route between the mines and agricultural industries surrounding Mackay to the Port of Mackay.
- Improves safety
- Better road access
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
Mackay Ring Road
- Upgraded a 1.6km section of the Peak Downs Highway, between Horse and Jockey Road and Sextons Road, to a dual carriageway.
- New network connections at the Bruce Highway south, Peak Downs Highway and Bruce Highway north.
- Project delivered a total of thirteen (13) bridges, including major bridge crossings of the Pioneer River.
Mackay Ring Road to Bald Hill Road connection
- Bridge over Port Rail line.
- Connection from the Mackay Ring Road to the future Mackay Port Access.
- Intersection upgrade for the Bruce Highway/Bald Hill Road.
- Duplication of the Bruce Highway between Mackay Ring Road and Mackay Northern Access.
- Duplication of Bruce Highway overpasses.
This project is funded by the Australian and Queensland governments. Investment ID 1491450
- Total investment
- $497.3 million
- Australian Government
- $397.9 million
- Queensland Government
- $99.4 million
- September 2020: Mackay Ring Road completed.
- March 2022: detailed design for Mackay Ring Road to Bald Hill Road Connection completed.
- August 2022: tender for construction of the Mackay Ring Road to Bald Hill Road Connection awarded.
- November 2022: construction started.
- Late 2024: construction due for completion.
Construction started in November 2022, with Golding Contractors Pty Ltd delivering the work.
The Mackay Ring Road project included the construction of new connections at the Bruce Highway south, the Peak Downs Highway and the Bruce Highway north.
New dual-lane roundabouts were constructed at the southern end at the Stockroute Road and Calrossie Road intersection and at the northern end just north of Bald Hill Road. A new interchange has been constructed at the Peak Downs Highway.
The connection to Bald Hill Road will provide an upgrade to the Bruce Highway and Bald Hill Road intersection and duplicate the Bruce Highway between the Mackay Ring Road and Mackay Northern Access upgrade project.