The department has installed 2 overtaking lanes on the Bruce Highway, between the Tinana Interchange and Central Road, near Maryborough.
Maryborough - Hervey Bay Road and Pialba - Burrum Heads Road, upgrade intersection
The upgrade of the Maryborough - Hervey Bay Road and Pialba - Burrum Heads Road intersection in Eli Waters will improve traffic movement and the safety of motorists, pedestrians and bike riders.
The upgrade includes signalising the intersection, which will improve safety by controlling motorist movements. Maryborough - Hervey Bay Road, on the southern approach to the intersection, and Pialba - Burrum Heads Road, west of the intersection, will be duplicated from 2 to 4 lanes to accommodate major traffic movement.
Pedestrian and bike riding facilities will also be upgraded to improve safety and connectivity for vulnerable road users. These works will include shared paths and signalised crossings at the intersection. Crossings for shared paths at adjacent intersections are currently under review.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
- Traffic signals at the intersection will allow enhanced control of vehicle, bike rider and pedestrian movements.
- The 4 lane duplication and the installation of dual turn lanes on the Pialba - Burrum Heads Road leg of the intersection will accommodate major traffic movement at the intersection and improve capacity.
- Pedestrian and bike riding facilities will allow for safe movement through the intersection and improve connectivity for vulnerable road users.
The $44.1 million intersection upgrade is jointly funded, with the Australian Government contributing $35.28 million and the Queensland Government contributing $8.82 million. Investment ID 2006450
- Total investment
- $$44.1 million
- Australian Government
- $$35.28 million
- Queensland Government
- $$8.82 million
We are currently undertaking detailed design. Once these works are completed, we will be better positioned to provide timeframes for construction of the upgrade.