New England Highway Cycleway, Highfields to Toowoomba CBD (Stages 1 & 2) – locally known as the Highfields Bikeway
The Highfields Bikeway Stage 2 project involves delivering a bikeway connecting Highfields to Toowoomba to provide a safer and more accessible active transport option.
The Highfields bikeway will be built in several stages. Construction of stage 1 of the bikeway was completed in December 2020 and installed a 3 metre wide, 2 lane path from Mitchell Road to Toowoomba Christian College and a connection from McShane Drive, Mt Kynoch, to Dwyer Street, Harlaxton. Stage 2 is currently in the design phase and will connect Toowoomba Christian College to Hi Winds Road. There is no funding for construction of stage 2 or design of further stages at this time.
The new bikeway is a priority location under the Queensland Cycling Strategy 2017-2027.
- Improves safety
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
- The new bikeway allows residents of surrounding suburbs a safe and accessible active transport option.
- A new 3m wide, 2 lane bikeway.
- Priority crossings on side roads to protect vulnerable users of the bikeway.
Highfields Bikeway—Stage 1 was $12.2 million (Investment ID 11603)
Highfields Bikeway—Stage 2 is $880,000 (Investment ID 1566603)
- Total investment
- $13.08 million
- Queensland Government
- $13.08 million
Current statusDesign of Highfields Bikeway – Stage 2 is currently underway and will be completed in June 2021.
Construction of Highfields Bikeway – Stage 1 was completed in December 2020.
- Priority crossing over Mitchell Road
- Priority crossing over Lawrence Road
- Priority crossing over Algar Road