New England Highway (Warwick - Wallangarra), high risk roads, improve safety
Pavement widening and resurfacing works are being delivered to improve safety and freight efficiency on the New England Highway between Stanthorpe and Ballandean.
Safety treatments are being implemented to reduce the risk of fatal and serious injury crashes occurring along this section of the New England Highway.
Safety improvements will include widening the road, installing a wider centre line, improving the road surface and installing dedicated right turns at key intersections.
A safer and more efficient road network will improve travel times, increase transport efficiency and productivity and support economic growth.
To improve safety on the New England Highway between Stanthorpe and Ballandean the project is being delivered as 8 work packages, including:
- Package 1 between Quart Pot Creek and the Maryland Street roundabout at Stanthorpe.
- Package 4 between Back Creek Road and Glen Aplin Drive at Glen Aplin.
- Package 5 between Kerridges Road and Sutton Lane at Glen Aplin.
- Package 7 between Fletcher and Bents roads at Ballandean.
Package 1 began construction in October 2020 and was completed in February 2021.
Packages 4 and 5 started construction in July 2020 and are expected to be completed in June 2021.
Package 7 started construction in October 2020 and is expected to be completed in June 2021.
Package 2 at the intersection of Whiskey Gully Road, was completed in July 2018.
Packages 3, 6 and 8 are not yet funded for construction.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Reduces maintenance
- Improves ride quality
- Widening the existing road surface.
- Vegetation clearing.
- Culvert replacement and extensions.
- Bitumen sealing.
- Line marking.
The Queensland Government is investing $19.4 million through the Targeted Road Safety Program. Investment ID 1123130
- Total investment
- $19.4 million
- Queensland Government
- $19.4 million
Construction is underway on packages 4, 5 and 7.