New England Highway (Warwick - Wallangarra), high risk roads, improve safety
The department is delivering pavement widening and resurfacing works improving safety and freight efficiency on the New England Highway between Stanthorpe and Ballandean.
These safety treatments reduce the risk of fatal and serious injury crashes occurring along this section of the New England Highway.
Safety improvements include widening the road and the installation of a wider centre line giving drivers more time to correct an errant vehicle. The scope also included the installation of dedicated right turns at key intersections.
A safer and more efficient road network will improve travel times, increase transport efficiency and productivity and support economic growth.
To improve safety on the New England Highway between Stanthorpe and Ballandean the project was delivered as 5 work packages, including:
- Package 1 between Quart Pot Creek and the Maryland Street roundabout at Stanthorpe, completed in February 2021.
- Package 2 at the intersection of Whiskey Gully Road, completed in July 2018.
- Package 4 between Back Creek Road and Glen Aplin Drive at Glen Aplin, completed in June 2021.
- Package 5 between Kerridges Road and Sutton Lane at Glen Aplin, completed in June 2021.
- Package 7 between Fletcher and Bents roads at Ballandean, completed in June 2021.
Package 3 has been funded for detailed design only and will investigate safety improvements at key intersections and overtaking lanes on the New England Highway through Severnlea.
Another 2 packages of work have been identified for when funding becomes available.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Reduces maintenance
- Improves ride quality
- Widening the existing road surface.
- Vegetation clearing.
- Culvert replacement and extensions.
- Bitumen sealing.
- Line marking.
This project is fully funded by the Queensland Government that is investing $19.4 million through the Targeted Road Safety Program. Investment ID 1123130
- Total investment
- $19.4 million
- Queensland Government
- $19.4 million
Construction was completed for packages 1, 4, 5 and 7 in June 2021. Design has commenced for Package 3.
Funding has been allocated to undertake detailed design for a package of safety improvements on the New England Highway at Severnlea.
The package of work will design safety improvements for turning vehicles at 4 intersections with the New England Highway including Reid Road, Beverley Road, Recka Lane and Back Creek Road. This package will also design improvements for merging vehicles at the end of key overtaking lanes on the New England Highway through Severnlea.
There is no funding allocated for construction.