New England Highway (Yarraman - Toowoomba), Back Creek bridge, upgrade bridge and approaches, planning
The department has a planning project underway to investigate safety improvements at Back Creek on the New England Highway south of Cooyar.
The New England Highway is a key state strategic road with high volumes of traffic, including freight.
This planning project is investigating options to upgrade:
- Back Creek bridge and its approaches
- New England Highway and Cooyar-Rangemore Road intersection
- New England Highway, McDougall and Fergus streets intersection
- New England Highway, between Back Creek and Cooyar Creek bridges.
- Improves safety
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Better road access
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
The planning project will:
- determine existing and future infrastructure requirements
- recommend solutions to meet highway infrastructure requirements and increase safety and efficiency
- allow informed decisions to be made regarding future highway upgrades.
This project is funded by the Queensland Government under the Transport System Planning Program. Further funding will be required to progress to design and construction.
- Total investment
- Queensland Government
Planning is underway.
We're inviting road users and the local community in Cooyar to provide feedback on the project.
Online consultation closes on 30 August 2023.