Nicklin Way, Third Avenue extension, new intersection
A road extension is being delivered between Third Avenue and Nicklin Way. This will create a new entry into the Caloundra CBD and reduce delays at the Caloundra Road/Nicklin Way roundabout.
This new road connection is part of a staged network solution for the intersection of Caloundra Road, Nicklin Way and Pelican Waters Boulevard.
The project will provide safer and more direct access to Caloundra for motorists, bike riders and pedestrians approaching from Mooloolaba.
Linking with Sunshine Coast Council's proposed duplication of Oval Avenue, the project will make travelling into Caloundra easier by reducing traffic congestion on Caloundra Road.
- Returns local roads
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Better road access
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
This project will provide:
- A new intersection connecting Nicklin Way and Third Avenue.
- An alternative entry into the Caloundra CBD and reducing congestion at the Caloundra Road/Nicklin Way roundabout.
- Extension of Third Avenue from Arthur Street to Nicklin Way.
- A connection to Oval Avenue, which will be duplicated by Sunshine Coast Council, to improve traffic flow.
- New bike riding facilities and pathways to improve access to Caloundra via active transport.
The Queensland Government has committed $7 million for the delivery of this project as part of the Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program. The Australian Government announced a $7 million contribution to the project in the 2021-22 Federal budget. Investment ID 1776710
- Total investment
- $18.2 million
- Australian Government
- $7 million
- Queensland Government
- $7 million
- Local Government
- $4.2 million
We are currently undertaking planning for this upgrade and working with Sunshine Coast Council to coordinate delivery. Sunshine Coast Council will deliver this project as part of its Caloundra Transport Corridor Upgrade.