Nicklin Way / Third Avenue extension intersection
We are delivering a road extension between Third Avenue and Nicklin Way to create a new entry into the Caloundra CBD and reduce delays at the Caloundra Road/Nicklin Way roundabout.
This new road connection is part of a staged network solution for the intersection of Caloundra Road, Nicklin Way and Pelican Waters Boulevard.
The project will provide safer and more direct access to Caloundra for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians approaching from Mooloolaba.
It will link with Sunshine Coast Council's proposed duplication of Oval Avenue, making it easier to travel into Caloundra by reducing traffic congestion on Caloundra Road.
- Returns local roads
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Better road access
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Contributes to regional growth
- Better active transport
This project will provide:
- a new intersection connecting Nicklin Way and Third Avenue to provide an alternative entry into the Caloundra CBD and reduce congestion at the Caloundra Road/Nicklin Way roundabout
- extension of Third Avenue from Arthur Street to Nicklin Way
- a connection to Oval Avenue, which will be duplicated by Sunshine Coast Council, to improve traffic flow
- new cycle facilities and pathways to improve access to Caloundra via active transport.
The Queensland Government has committed $7 million for the delivery of this project as part of the Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program. The Queensland Government is negotiating with the Australian Government for additional funding for the project.
- Total investment
- $11.2 million
- Queensland Government
- $7 million
- Local Government
- $4.2 million
We are currently undertaking planning for this upgrade and working with Sunshine Coast Council to coordinate delivery.