We will deliver targeted bus priority from Kedron to Chermside, improving the safety and capacity of this important link in Brisbane's northern public transport network.
This project is a cost-effective solution to provide a high-quality public transport corridor, which will support high frequency on-road bus services and enable reliable travel times, encouraging more people to use public transport.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Reduces travel time
- A dedicated bus lane for buses, both inbound and outbound, along Gympie Road between Kedron and Chermside benefiting over 5,000 people during peak periods each weekday.
- Travel time savings of up to six minutes on some services during peak periods.
- Higher frequency of services at bus stops within the project corridor, increasing from every 15 minutes to every 5 minutes or better during peak periods.
- More local residents with greater access to high frequency bus services.
- Bus stops that are accessible and compliant with disability access requirements.
- Improved pathways along the alignment for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Removal of unsignalised right-turn movements within the project corridor to improve the safety for all road users.
- A new set of traffic signals at the intersection of Gympie Road and Boothby Street, including dedicated right-turn lane and U-turn facility, to provide safe access for locals and businesses.
The project is part of the Passenger Transport Infrastructure Investment Program (PTIIP). The PTIIP aims to deliver critical enabling infrastructure to achieve a connected, integrated network that offers value to customers and makes public transport an attractive option for everyone.
Map of the Northern Transitway Gympie Road, Kedron to Chermside
The design for the Northern Transitway is now final, and construction tender has been released with construction to commence in early 2021.
The detailed service planning of the bus network will continue to be refined. This includes final route alignments and stopping patterns to ensure that we can best service the passengers who utilise these services while still ensuring that we are able to gain the significant benefits to be realised by the Northern Transitway.