Samford Sub-Arterial Road (Samford Road) and Glen Holm Street, upgrade intersection and Samford Sub-Arterial Road (Samford Road) and Osborne Road intersection planning (known as the Samford Road intersection improvements)
Initial community consultation was undertaken on proposed safety and traffic improvement works at key intersections along Samford Road, at Glen Holm Street and Osborne Road.
In late 2018, a planning study was completed along Samford Road, between Imbros Street and Dawson Parade, Mitchelton.
Samford Road has been experiencing congestion, particularly during peak hours, and is an important road connecting the local communities in the western suburbs of Brisbane.
The study identified that minor intersection upgrades would improve safety and relieve congestion along Samford Road, particularly during peak hours.
The key identified intersections for upgrades are Pickering Street (completed), and Glen Holm Street and Osborne Road, which are progressing.
Some of the issues identified in the report included:
- limited road reserve width, as narrow as 20m, constrains this section of the corridor
- limited median and protected right-turn pockets, resulting in turning vehicles delaying through movements and a reduction in capacity
- the pedestrian movements also inhibit shared through and turning lanes which reduce capacity.
Recommendations are focused on intersection improvements that can be delivered along Samford Road, mostly in the road corridor. The recommended improvements include minor civil works and to minimise land impacts.
Initial community consultation was undertaken in June to August 2020. The second round of community consultation for Glen Holm Street and Osborne Road commenced in November 2021 and closed on Sunday 12 December 2021.
- Improves network efficiency
- Better road access
- Reduces travel time
- Reduces peak hour congestion
The improvements at Glen Holm Street and Samford Road intersection include:
- installing an unsignalised, right-turn outbound lane on Samford Road at the Glen Holm Street intersection to reduce the likelihood of turning traffic blocking through traffic on Samford Road
- minor pavement widening to provide a short right-turn pocket on Samford Road (outbound) into Glen Holm Street.
The improvements at Osborne Road and Samford Road intersection include:
- installing an additional right-turn outbound lane on Samford Road at the Osborne Road intersection to reduce the likelihood of turning traffic blocking the through traffic on Samford Road
- minor civil work treatments, including line marking, new signs and kerbing.
The Queensland Government has allocated the following funding:
- $430,000 (QTRIP ID 1073415) for removing the right turn into Pickering Street as part of the Safer Roads Sooner Program (completed September 2020)
-$670,000 for Osborne Road (QTRIP ID 1190338) intersection to undertake further investigation (planning)
- $6.5 million (QTRIP ID 1244277) for Glen Holm Street to undertake planning, design and construction activities, funding provided by the State Road Network Upgrade (SRNU) Program.
- Total investment
- $7.6 million
- Queensland Government
- $7.6 million