Site navigation
Department of Transport and Main Roads

Road Corridor Permit

In certain circumstances, third parties may locate a structure or thing or undertake an activity in state-controlled road corridors. These structures and activities are known as ancillary works and encroachments, and include any structure, thing or activity within the road boundary.

Departmental approval is required under section 50 of the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 if any of the following occur within the boundaries of a state-controlled road:

  • undertaking an activity
  • locating or constructing a structure or thing
  • maintaining a structure or thing
  • upgrading a structure or thing
  • operating a structure or thing.

You must apply for a Road Corridor Permit for departmental approval.

Any potential interruption to traffic flow, pedestrian movements or public transport operations caused by your activity or construction on a state-controlled road also requires a Traffic Control Permit, in addition to a Road Corridor Permit. A Traffic Control Permit must be obtained before starting any and each activity.

All public utilities must follow the application process for accessing state-controlled roads.

On this page

Exemptions from a Road Corridor Permit

Certain structures and activities do not need a Road Corridor Permit, such as letterboxes and lawn mowing.

Read more about the notice issued by the Director-General that sets out when specific ancillary works and encroachments do not require departmental approval to be located on a state-controlled road.

Applying for a Road Corridor Permit

Use the Permit for Access to Road and Corridor portal to register and apply for a Road Corridor Permit. After registering as a user, you can:

  • apply for a Road Corridor Permit
  • view your current applications
  • view your approved Road Corridor Permits
  • amend your account details
  • access support information.

Please contact your local roads office for help with the application process or to obtain a paper copy of the Road Corridor Permit application.

We recommend your application is submitted at least 4 weeks before the date the permit is required. We may need additional time to assess the impacts and requirements for some larger structures.

Information privacy

Transport and Main Roads collects your personal information in the Permit for Access to Road and Corridor portal, as required by the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994.

We may give some or all of this information to other state government departments, local governments or public utility providers involved in processing or management of Road Corridor Permits.

Your personal information will not be disclosed to any other third party without your consent, unless required or authorised to do so by law.

Information needed with your application

Your application should include:

  • exact location of the structure or activity (preferably using longitude and latitude coordinates on a smart phone)—include photos of the location if possible
  • detailed explanation of the structure or activity:
    • what it is
    • its purpose
    • any other people or organisations involved
    • how long the structure or activity will be located within the state-controlled road corridor
    • how it will be accessed from the state-controlled road
  • for activities undertaken on a state-controlled road:
    • time of the activity
    • number of people involved
    • what access to the state-controlled road is needed
  • for structures located on a state-controlled road:
    • measurements
    • construction material
    • construction method
    • copies of specifications
    • plans marked 'issued for construction' and certified by a Registered Professional Engineer in Queensland (RPEQ) Engineer
    • diagrams of works
    • relevant photos
    • distance from nearby intersections
    • how often it will need to be accessed from the state-controlled road
    • purpose of post-installation access
    • posted speed limit
    • distance to other built infrastructure or signs (if present)
  • evidence of a public liability insurance policy
  • Deed of Indemnity, to indemnify Transport and Main Roads from all legal claims arising from your activities, works or structures. View our Deed of Indemnity templates to include in your application.     

If this information is incomplete or insufficient, we will contact you to submit further information.

Stock—crossings, grazing and travelling

You must also comply with specific traffic management requirements for stock activities on a state-controlled road.

Developer utility works

You must also comply with specific requirements for developers proposing to undertake public utility works in/on/over a state-controlled road.


For non-commercial structures and activities, there is no fee for Road Corridor Permits. Commercial structures and activities may be subject to a fee or licensing agreement.

Liability insurance and indemnity

Our insurance does not cover third parties. If a claim is made against the Department of Transport and Main Roads for any property damage or personal injury caused by your structure or activity, the permit holder will be responsible for all costs. The permit applicant or holder must hold liability insurance and indemnify the department against any costs arising from the structure or activity they wish to locate in the road corridor.

A current certificate of either public (business) or personal (individual) liability insurance for a minimum of $20 million must be provided with a Road Corridor Permit application. In exceptional cases, where the applicant can demonstrate a minimal level of risk, we may accept a reduced level of cover.

The certificate of insurance (public or personal) must be in the same name as the person or entity that holds the Road Corridor Permit. For public liability, the certificate must clearly state the Department of Transport and Main Roads as the 'Named Party' or 'Interest Noted'. Please note: this is not required for personal liability.

A Deed of Indemnity must be submitted with a Road Corridor Permit application. In this Deed of Indemnity, the Road Corridor Permit holder agrees to compensate the department for any loss, damage or expense incurred as a result of their structure or activity. Indemnities can be either single use or enduring (that is, for an extended period of time) if related to specified activities.

Deed of indemnity templates

You must complete one of the following templates to include in your application to obtain a Road Corridor Permit. It is important to remember when choosing a template that the individual/entity for the structure or activity in the road corridor is the same name/s as shown on the public liability insurance. 

*State government departments are not required to indemnify the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Other approvals

You may need other permits, in addition to the Road Corridor Permit. It is your responsibility to identify and comply with all other relevant laws and requirements that could apply to your activity or structure—for example, development approvals or native vegetation clearing.

Duration of Road Corridor Permits

The duration of a Road Corridor Permit will depend on the nature of the structure or activity and will be determined at the time of application.

What happens after submitting my application?

Each application is evaluated and a decision made to approve or refuse a Road Corridor Permit. Consideration will be given to impacts on road safety, road network efficiency and community access to use of the road network.

Your application is approved

If your application is approved, a Road Corridor Permit with any conditions relating to the structure or activity will be issued.

Your application is refused

If your application is refused, you will be notified in writing with the reasons for refusal. You can request further information about the reasons for refusal from the processing district.

You can request the department to review the decision and if unhappy with this reviewed decision, you can apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) for a further review.

Things to consider

  • Any structure or activity must be located outside the 'clear zone' as defined in our Road planning and design manual (RPDM) (Volume 3, Part 6—Guide to Road Design). Limited exemptions may apply if the applicant submits an RPEQ-certified 'clear zone risk assessment' that has been conducted in accordance with the RPDM. For more information on clear zones, contact your local roads office.
  • As a road authority, we undertake a range of duties (such as road upgrades, installation of rest areas, weed spraying, fire prevention). You may need to move your structure or activity if it will obstruct our operations.
  • A Road Corridor Permit may need to be changed or cancelled if:
    • the activity or structure is causing a danger to the safety or efficiency of the road
    • there is reasonable likelihood that damage may be caused to property within the road corridor or that personal injury may occur
    • the permit holder breaches any condition of their Road Corridor Permit
    • any other reason covered by the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 or other legislation.
  • If our engineers consider the structure or activity is causing an immediate risk to road safety or efficiency, it will be removed immediately.
  • The following factors impact on the safety of the road:
    • anything that impedes:
      • a road sign, guide-post or road safety feature
      • the line of sight for the road ahead
    • anything that will distract a driver (for example, moving parts, flashing lights or colours, anything seeking a driver's focused attention)
    • any item located within the clear zone (as specified in the RPDM) that will not disintegrate into very small fragments on impact, thereby reducing the severity of a crash
    • anything where access (that is, getting off and back onto the road) is required to the structure or activity.
  • The following factors impact on the efficiency of the road:
    • anything that causes vehicles to slow down and disrupt the flow of traffic
    • where access (that is, getting off and back onto the road) impedes the flow of traffic—this will be influenced by the traffic volumes and whether they increase over time.
  • Permit holders are required to meet all cost associated with the structure or activity. This includes:
    • cost of construction, operation, alteration and removal initiated by the permit holder
    • cost of alteration, rectification or removal requested by Transport and Main Roads (where the structure or activity impacts on road safety, the road's efficiency or our operational business)
    • any damage caused to transport infrastructure or the road corridor. (Please note: our engineers will decide whether road infrastructure requires repair in relation to the safety, operation and maintenance of the road. Any repairs or rectification must be completed to our standards).
  • We may rectify damage and seek reimbursement of costs when the permit holder does not comply with the request to:
    • alter, rectify or remove a structure or activity
    • rectify damage to transport infrastructure or the road corridor.
  • Permit holders must not interfere with existing drainage, signage, road markers or anything else within the road system unless separate approval under another section of the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994 has been granted (for example, approval for road works under section 33 of the Act).
  • When the activity, works or structure is completed, the permit holder must restore the area to a reasonable condition. Restoration includes removal of any materials, rubbish and toxic waste (such as asbestos) brought onto the approved site and may include, if requested, revegetation.
  • The Road Corridor Permit is only valid for the person/s or organisation named on the permit and cannot be transferred. As approval for the structure (including the associated conditions) is given to the permit holder, the permit holder may be held responsible after they no longer own the asset. If a permit holder has been issued with a permit for a structure related to their property (for example, a cattle grid installed on a state-controlled road) they will need to inform us if they are selling the property. The permit holder should also inform the new owner of their responsibility to obtain a new Road Corridor Permit.


It is an offence for anyone to interfere with a state-controlled road or its operations without an approval. We can impose a fine for non-compliance.

Continued operation or conduct of an activity or structure under an expired permit is an offence. It is the permit holder's responsibility to ensure a current permit is held at all times.

It is also an offence to not comply with any conditions attached to the Road Corridor Permit.

Further information

For further information, please contact your local roads office.

Examples of ancillary works and encroachments

This is not an exhaustive list of activities or structures. If you are unsure if a permit is required, please contact your local roads office.

Activity or structure Details
Advertising signs and devices An advertising device means any:
  • billboard
  • poster
  • footway or real estate signs
  • hand bill
  • placard
  • notice or sign.

Including the structure which the advertising device is fixed to, painted on, or supported by. Refer to the Roadside advertising manual.

This includes temporary event advertising.

Awnings Any structure which protrudes over state-controlled road land and is supported by a structure outside the state-controlled road
Beehives A human-made receptacle for housing living bees
Bridges and other overhead structures Viewing platforms, green infrastructure, light rail and other overhead developments
Burning off The use of fire to reduce vegetation—for information visit the Rural Fire Service website
Cane rail Rail infrastructure used to transport sugar cane, located in a state-controlled road
Conducting a business The commercial supply of goods or services from a place on the footpath or roadside—for example, a market, cafe or roadside vending
Construction or demolition activities The activity of constructing or demolishing a building, shelters or infrastructure, whether permanent or temporary, such as assets installed by a developer to be later owned by a Public Utility
Earthworks Extracting, crushing, sorting or grading natural resources, excavation, filling, the removal or movement of earth, stone or mineral, or drilling or boring the ground surface using any method or for any purpose
Election signs Any advertising device in the form of a portable sign identifying candidates standing at local, state or federal government elections
Electricity—solar panels or wind generation Panels used for the collection of sunlight to produce energy or structures used to convert wind to energy
Fossicking The act of looking or searching for minerals, stones or other materials
Meetings An activity that may be organised by community or other organisations, to discuss a broad range of issues—this does not include demonstrations or marches, that may require a permit from the police
Mail boxes Any structure or receptacle used for the delivery of official or unofficial post and deliveries
Memorials or statues An activity to erect and maintain a structure to commemorate a person or a major event. Current roadside memorials on state-controlled roads policy states that our preferred form of roadside memorial is a white cross. Where a white cross is not considered appropriate, and if requested by a sponsor, we may consider the installation of a plaque at ground level
Neighbourhood Watch signs An advertising device informing road users that a Neighbourhood Watch program, organised and supported by the community in order to reduce crime, is active in the residential or rural area. The sign bears the legend NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH AREA and includes the Queensland Police Service logo and other symbol legends, but no other material
Other activity or structure type Any other activity or structure not included in another listed category
Painting and graffiti removal The activity of painting any temporary or permanent structure or thing of any size and made of any material, or any activity for the purpose of removing graffiti
Paths or bikeways A path of any form or type of construction used by pedestrians, cyclists or any type of vehicle, other than the main travelled way of the state-controlled road
Pipes and tanks (not for water) Pipes, tanks of any size and made of any material used for any purpose other than the movement or storage of water
Poles, lighting, gates, fences or cables Any structure that is a pole, post or tower, cables, conduit, lighting or supports lighting, fencing, or gate whether permanent or temporary—does not include fences and gates for stock control (see Stock)
Pumps, bowsers and charging stations Any type of pump, including fuel bowsers and charging stations, used to provide energy or movement of a liquid other than water
Remotely piloted aircraft Any powered device flown over a state-controlled road where the pilot is not located in the craft
Rest area facilities Infrastructure provided at designated rest areas
Retaining walls, stays and structural anchors
  • A retaining wall holds back solid material such as rock or earths
  • Stays and anchors hold infrastructure and other major structures in place to maintain engineering integrity
Road safety related activities An activity that promotes or assists with road safety outcomes, including driver reviver sites
Rubbish and rubbish bins A receptacle or pit built of any material used for the temporary or permanent collection and/or retainment of rubbish or unwanted items
Sporting activities and events Sporting activities could be a wide range of planned events for example marathons, bicycle events and fun runs. They do not include activities by individuals. An event permit may be issued by the Queensland Police Service
Stock—grazing of stock The grazing or holding of stock in a temporarily fenced area on a state-controlled road
Stock—grids or other stock facilities Any of the following infrastructure:
  • a stock watering facility
  • a stock holding yard, loading ramp or enclosure
  • a water crossing for use by travelling stock
  • a gate, grid or signage to assist moving or confining stock
  • a fence, other than a boundary fence
Stock—moving of stock To move stock on hoof on a state-controlled road, such as droving
Tourist, service & welcome signs
  • Tourist signs indicate non-commercial and commercial attractions of tourist interest
  • Service signs indicate commercial and non-commercial services available to road users adjacent to the road, along a side road or reached via an exit ramp
  • Welcome signs are designed to introduce the road traveller to a specific area and provide an easily identifiable milestone marker in the journey
  • Read more about Applying for a tourist or service sign
Vegetation—planting, management or removal of vegetation Landscaping and planting, the removal, harvesting or cutting of vegetation including slashing or bailing. Does not include the removal of vegetation by the use of fire (burning off). Refer to our Road Landscape Manual
Water—bores, wells, pumps, windmills, viaducts, tanks, dams, channels and culverts Water infrastructure associated with agriculture, or the storage, collection and transport of water. Viaducts and dams are usually associated with the catchment, storage and transport of water. Water tanks are normally smaller structures
Water—bulk water works Works for inspection, installation, maintenance/repair, decommissioning and/or removal works by a bulk water supplier. Bulk water suppliers such as Seqwater and SunWater are not public utilities
Water—bulk water emergency works Notice of works undertaken in an emergency by a bulk water supplier after the works have been undertaken. Bulk water suppliers such as Seqwater and SunWater are not public utilities
Last updated 25 October 2022