Veloway 1: Pacific Motorway
The Veloway 1 (V1), is a dedicated cycleway running between Lower River Terrace, South Brisbane and Eight Mile Plains. The 17km cycleway provides a safe and efficient route for people travelling by bike.
Upgrades to the V1 are being made in stages to remove multiple road crossings and to improve safety where on-road crossings still exist. Complete and open for use is:
- Stage A – Logan Road (exit 14) to Miles Platting Road
- Stage B – Miles Platting Road to Gateway Motorway off-ramp, Eight Mile Plains
- Stage C – Lewisham Street at Greenslopes to Birdwood Road at Holland Park West
- Stage D – O'Keefe Street to Lewisham Street
- Stage E – Birdwood Road to Gaza Road.
- Improves safety
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
- Reduces travel time
- Improves network efficiency
The V1 is a critical and high-quality cycle facility which provides a grade separated option for people to travel by bike between the City and Eight Mile Plains, running adjacent to the Pacific Motorway.
The improvements made to the V1 aim to encourage active healthy lifestyles and to encourage more people to take up this greener mode of transport.
The steady growth in bike riders using the V1 also means there are less instances where cars and bikes need to interact on busy local roads. It is a win for motorists as well as for bike riders.
Upgrades to the V1 are being made in stages to remove multiple road crossings and to improve safety where on-road crossings still exist.
Future Veloway sections include:
- Lower River Terrace, South Brisbane – planning is underway and construction subject to funding. Read more about the Lower River Terrace velobridge project
- O'Keefe Street, Woolloongabba – detailed design for grade separation underway and construction to start in 2022. Find out more and have your say
- Birdwood Road, Holland Park West – design to start and construction is subject to funding
- Worrell Street, MacGregor – planning underway and construction subject to funding.
Lower River Terrace velobridge - Investment ID 1294227 ($1.59 million)
O'Keefe Street velobridge - Investment ID 407570 ($14.53 million)
Birdwood Road cycle bridge - Investment ID 1564982 ($1.6 million)
- Total investment
- $17.72 million
- Queensland Government
- $17.72 million
Project updateThe Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) has completed the mural concept for the V1 Stage E retaining wall at Bapaume Road, Tarragindi, just south of Sterculia Avenue and is inviting interested members of the public to view and provide their feedback. The first stage of murals was painted on selected piers and headstocks along the Veloway 1 Stage E. The themes include:
- local flora
- local fauna
- families cycling.
Following feedback from the community, painting of the flora and fauna mural is expected to start in mid-2021, weather and site conditions permitting.