Veloway 1: Pacific Motorway
The Veloway 1, is a dedicated cycleway running between Lower River Terrace, South Brisbane and Underwood. The 17km cycleway provides a safe and efficient route for bike riders.
Upgrades to Veloway 1 are being made in stages to remove multiple road crossings and to improve safety where on-road crossings still exist. Complete and open for use are:
- Stage A – Logan Road (exit 14) to Miles Platting Road
- Stage B – Miles Platting Road to Gateway Motorway off-ramp, Eight Mile Plains
- Stage C – Lewisham Street at Greenslopes to Birdwood Road at Holland Park West
- Stage D – O'Keefe Street to Lewisham Street
- Stage E – Birdwood Road to Gaza Road.
- Improves safety
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
- Reduces travel time
- Improves network efficiency
Veloway 1 is a critical and high-quality cycle facility that provides an option for bike riders between the City and Underwood, running adjacent to the Pacific Motorway.
The improvements made to the veloway aim to encourage active healthy lifestyles and to encourage more people to take up this greener mode of transport.
The steady growth in bike riders using the veloway also means there are less instances where cars and bikes need to interact on busy local roads. It is a win for motorists as well as for bike riders.
Upgrades to the veloway are being made in stages to remove multiple road crossings and to improve safety where on-road crossings still exist.
Future veloway sections include:
- Lower River Terrace, South Brisbane—planning is underway and construction subject to funding. Read more about the Lower River Terrace velobridge project
- Trinity Lane, Woolloongabba—planning is underway to improve the veloway connection at Trinity Lane which joins the local road network via Woolloongabba Bikeway. Read more about the Trinity Lane upgrade
- O'Keefe Street, Woolloongabba—early works are underway with main construction to start in late 2022. Read more about the O'Keefe Street project
- Birdwood Road, Holland Park West—design is underway and construction is subject to funding
- Worrell Street, MacGregor—planning is underway and construction is subject to funding.
Lower River Terrace velobridge (including Veloway 1 Trinity Lane) - Investment ID 1294227 ($1.59 million)
O'Keefe Street velobridge - Investment ID 407570 ($22.03 million)
Birdwood Road velobridge - Investment ID 1564982 ($1.9 million)
- Total investment
- $25.52 million
- Queensland Government
- $25.52 million