A planning study has been undertaken to investigate future upgrade requirements on the Bruce Highway between Deception Bay Road and Caboolture-Bribie Island Road.
Bruce Highway Planning Project—Pine River to Caloundra Road
The department has delivered a planning project to investigate and prioritise upgrades to the Bruce Highway between the Pine River and Caloundra Road.
The Bruce Highway is a vital artery for Queensland and a nationally-significant freight corridor. That is why the Queensland Government, together with the Australian Government, is delivering the 15-year, $12.6 billion Bruce Highway Upgrade Program.
This high-level planning project was delivered as part of this investment.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces interchange queuing
- Improves flood immunity
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
Future upgrades on the Bruce Highway between the Pine River and Caloundra Road.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland Governments on an 80:20 basis.
- Total investment
- $10 million
- Australian Government
- $8 million
- Queensland Government
- $2 million
Preliminary planning for the 60km stretch of the Bruce Highway between the Pine River and Caloundra Road has been completed.
The planning has guided investment decisions for the Australian and Queensland governments with funding committed to deliver the following priority upgrades:
- $105 million to install Smart Motorways technology from the Pine River to Caloundra Road, with early works expected to start in 2021 and major construction scheduled for 2022.
- $163 million to upgrade the Deception Bay Road interchange, with major construction underway and the entire project expected to be completed in early 2023, weather and construction conditions permitting.
- $663 million to upgrade and widen the Bruce Highway from 4 to 6 lanes between Caboolture-Bribie Island Road and Steve Irwin Way (Exit 163), with major construction underway and the entire project scheduled for completion in late 2023, weather and construction conditions permitting.