Planning is underway to upgrade the Cunningham Highway.
Cunningham Highway (Ipswich–Warwick) and Ipswich-Rosewood Road intersection, business case
Planning has started for an interim upgrade of the Cunningham Highway and Ipswich–Rosewood Road intersection in Amberley.
In April 2020, the Australian and Queensland Governments approved funding for a $1.65 million business case for an interim upgrade solution at the Cunningham Highway and Ipswich–Rosewood Road intersection.
This intersection is the main access point to Australia's largest operational military air base—the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Amberley. Traffic flow rates at the intersection exceed the capacity of the intersection, resulting in significant travel delays.
The business case identified 2 interim design options to:
- improve safety and efficiency for interstate and interregional freight vehicles
- service the high demands of the RAAF Base Amberley.
Community consultation on the proposed options closed 10 July 2022. No construction funding is currently allocated to deliver the Cunningham Highway and Ipswich-Rosewood Road intersection after the business case phase.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces interchange queuing
- Reduces travel time
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
- Remove the existing priority intersection at Cunningham Highway and Ipswich–Rosewood Road. Install a roundabout with an option to alter traffic signal timing to cater for changing traffic demands.
- Remove the existing 4-way intersection at Heit Street, Ipswich–Rosewood Road and Southern Amberley Road. Install one of the following:
- a roundabout (option 1)
- a signalised intersection (option 2).
- Closure of access to Oneills Road and Heit Street from Ipswich–Rosewood Road.
- Road and bridge duplication across Warrill Creek.
- An active transport bridge across Warrill Creek.
- Provision for active transport between Amberley and Yamanto.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian Government and Queensland Government on an 80:20 (federal:state) basis. Investment ID 1619865
- Total investment
- $1.65 million
- Australian Government
- $1.32 million
- Queensland Government
The project is currently in the planning phase.
Community consultation on the proposed options closed 10 July 2022. This feedback is being collated and analysed for consideration and a consultation summary report will be available late 2022.
The preferred option will inform progression of the business case. This is expected to be completed in mid-2023.
Map showing location of upgrade section for the Cunningham Highway and Ipswich–Rosewood Road intersection in Amberley.