Mooloolaba Road and Sugar Road intersection upgrade
The department is upgrading the intersection to minimise delays, congestion and queuing, and to improve safety along this busy section of the network.
The proposed interim upgrade will improve safety, capacity and efficiency by adjusting lane configurations to provide more efficient access to Sugar Road and the Sunshine Motorway. The upgrade will also improve traffic flow and enhance the overall operations of the Mooloolaba Road bridge over the Sunshine Motorway.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces interchange queuing
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Better active transport
- Improves ride quality
- Extending right-turn lanes in both directions on the Mooloolaba Road overpass to increase storage capacity.
- Providing 2 dedicated left-turn lanes from Sugar Road to Mooloolaba Road.
- Providing 2 dedicated left-turn lanes from Mooloolaba Road to Sugar Road.
- Road widening to accommodate the additional lanes.
- Signalised pedestrian crossings at the Mooloolaba Road and Sunshine Motorway southbound exit ramp intersection and at the Mooloolaba Road and Sugar Road intersection.
- Road resurfacing.
- Dedicated on-road bicycle lanes and an off-road bicycle path westbound on the bridge.
- Lighting improvements.
This project is fully funded by the Queensland Government. Investment ID 845329
- Total investment
- $15 million
- Queensland Government
- $15 million
We thank the community for providing feedback during the consultation period in early 2021. Design work is progressing and is expected to be completed in early 2022.
The proposed intersection upgrade is an interim project to improve safety and capacity until a full Buderim-Mooloolaba Interchange upgrade can be delivered. Any submissions for works outside the scope and budget of the interim intersection upgrade will be passed on to the department’s Planning team to help inform future planning for the broader Buderim-Mooloolaba Interchange upgrade.
- Realignment of the Sunshine Motorway southbound exit ramp at Mooloolaba Road with installation of a new signalised pedestrian crossing and footpath.
- Installation of dual left-turn lanes from Sugar Road to Mooloolaba Road with a signalised pedestrian crossing, as well as a dedicated on-road bicycle lane on Sugar Road in the southbound direction and improved pedestrian bicycle rider connectivity, including a new footpath.
- Increased right-turn storage capacity for vehicles travelling in both directions on the Mooloolaba Road bridge, as well as a dedicated westbound off-road bicycle path.
- Installation of dual left-turn lanes from Mooloolaba Road to Sugar Road with a signalised pedestrian crossing, as well as a dedicated on-road bicycle lane to the bridge and a new footpath.