The Stage 1 section of the Coomera Connector between Coomera and Nerang has been identified as the priority section to be built first.
Coomera Connector Stage 1 South
Design phase is underway for the Coomera Connector Stage 1 South package from Smith Street Motorway to Nerang-Broadbeach Road.
The Coomera Connector (Stage 1) will be delivered in 3 construction packages:
- Stage 1 North—4km section from Shipper Drive to Helensvale Road
- Stage 1 Central—8km section from Helensvale Road to Smith Street Motorway
- Stage 1 South—4km section from Smith Street Motorway to Nerang-Broadbeach Road.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Increases traffic flow
- Reduces peak hour congestion
- Reduces interchange queuing
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
This 4km section of the project will have:
- a grade-separated interchange at Southport-Nerang Road
- a new intersection at Nerang-Broadbeach Road
- a new 300m bridge structure over the Nerang River
- 4km of shared bicycle and pedestrian path with local path network connections for communities at Molendinar and Nerang
- open graded asphalt road surface for increased safety and reduced noise.
The project is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments on an 50:50 (federal:state) basis. Investment ID 1776678
- Total investment
- $2.16 billion
- Australian Government
- $1.08 billion
- Queensland Government
- $1.08 billion
The design and site investigations for Stage 1 South are underway.
- August 2022: Design contract awarded
- Late 2022: Preliminary design commenced
- November 2023: Design released
- Early 2024: Early works expected to start
- Late 2024: Main road construction expected to commence
Coomera Connector Stage 1 South project update
The project team will send out regular project updates including construction notices and traffic alerts by email. Please register your details to receive these updates.
20 November 2023: Design released for Coomera Connector Stage 1 South
The design showing proposed layouts for the Stage 1 South package from Molendinar to Nerang has been released.
Community members are encouraged to contact the project team if they have any questions or feedback on the design.
An early works package south of the Nerang River will also commence soon, with major construction expected to start in late 2024.
10 October 2022: Contract awarded for Stage 1 South
A contract has been awarded to BG&E Pty Ltd and HDR Pty Ltd Joint Venture to undertake detailed design for Stage 1 South of the Coomera Connector from Smith Street Motorway, Molendinar to Nerang-Broadbeach Road, Nerang.
The Stage 1 South package will be delivered as a Transport Infrastructure Contract – Construct Only. This means 2 separate contracts are awarded—one for design and one for construction.
The Stage 1 South package connects from the Stage 1 Central interface near Smith Street Motorway to a new interchange at Southport-Nerang Road, before crossing the Nerang River and finishing at a new intersection with Nerang-Broadbeach Road, near Chisholm Drive.