We have delivered an improved link from the south to the northern suburbs to reduce traffic through Mackay.
We are building a new 2-lane rural highway to connect Peak Downs Highway west of Walkerston to the Mackay Ring Road near Paget.
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves flood immunity
- A 1.5km overtaking section.
- A new flood-free bridge over Bakers Creek.
- 3 new road overpasses above the local cane railway network.
The project will:
- re-direct heavy vehicles away from local schools, retail and medical facilities in Walkerston.
- remove heavy vehicle and local traffic interactions through Walkerston.
- be a direct route for heavy vehicles required by Bowen Basin coal producers.
- extend the life of a 74 year-old bridge, adjacent to a school yard.
- reduce congestion through Walkerston.
- integrating with existing works on the Peak Downs Highway–Eton Range Upgrade and Mackay Ring Road (Stage 1).
Jointly funded by the Australian (80%) and Queensland (20%) governments.
- Total investment
- $150 million
- Australian Government
- $120 million
- Queensland Government
- $30 million
Construction is scheduled to start early 2021, when Mackay Ring Road Stage 1 is complete.
- Mid-2019: Mid-2020: detailed design
- Mid-2020: tenders for construction called
- Late-2020: construction contract awarded
- Early 2021: construction anticipated to commence
- Late 2023: construction completed.