Pacific Motorway (M1), Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill, widen and extend busway (M1 Watland Street to Sports Drive upgrade)
The Pacific Motorway (M1) between Watland Street and Sports Drive is being upgraded as part of a rolling program of upgrades between the Gateway and Logan Motorways.
This upgrade focuses on widening the Pacific Motorway's southbound lanes from the Rochedale Road off-ramp (Exit 19) to Logan Road, and northbound lanes from the Watland Street overpass to the existing Sports Drive on-ramp.
This project is being delivered as part of the Pacific Motorway (M1), Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill, widen and extend busway upgrade (Stage 2).
- Improves safety
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Contributes to economy
- Better active transport
- Improves flood immunity
- Widening the M1 up to 4 southbound lanes between north of Exit 19 (Rochedale Road) to Logan Road.
- Widening the M1 up to 4 northbound lanes between the Watland Street overpass and the existing Sports Drive on-ramp.
- Extending the South East Busway to Springwood bus station.
- A new M1 on-ramp at Lexington Road.
- Widening Rochedale Road to three southbound lanes from the Rochedale Road off-ramp (Exit 19) to Springwood Road.
- Extending the V1 Veloway cycleway from Sports Drive (Package 1) to Watland Street.
- Smart motorways technologies to help reduce 'stop-start' travel on the motorway.
The project is being jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland Governments.
$750 million – Stage 2: Pacific Motorway (M1), Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill,
widen and extend busway upgrade. Investment ID 852345
- Total investment
- $750 million
- Australian Government
- $510 million
- Queensland Government
- $240 million
Current statusWe are currently undertaking construction of the Watland Street to Sports Drive upgrade which will improve the capacity and safety of both north and southbound lanes on the M1. Early works construction commenced in November 2020.
Schematic drawing showing the project extents for widening the M1 and V1 Veloway starting at Eight Mile Plains in the north and Daisy Hill to the south. Features include:
- location for the new Rochedale bus station and park 'n' ride at the corner of Underwood and School Roads
- location for the South East Busway extension between Eight Mile Plains and Springwood bus station
- location for the new M1 on-ramp at Lexington Road, Underwood that will replace the Sports Drive M1 on-ramp, and a new shared use path from Springwood Road to the new Rochedale bus station at Underwood Road.
We are committed to delivering the Queensland Government's sustainability policies and targets and to continually improving on our design and construction methods to achieve net positive impacts.
Throughout design and construction for this upgrade, and in line with the project’s Infrastructure Sustainability Strategy, we will:
- ensure people’s health and wellbeing are put first
- explore available clean energy options for both design and construction
- reduce the project’s reliance on potable water by exploring alternatives
- promote workforce development opportunities
- reduce waste to landfill by reducing, reusing, recycling or refusing
- pursue and reward innovation in design and construction
- consider environmental, social, economic and governance outcomes in significant decisions
- engage with suppliers and subcontractors to procure materials and use the materials responsibly
- work with the local community to leave a positive legacy
- include strategies for adaptation to climate change into the project’s design
- advance diversity and inclusiveness
- respect and value the natural environment and enhance biodiversity.
For more information on our sustainability measures for the project contact the project team.