Applying to be an approved person
Before applying to be an approved person, we recommend you familiarise yourself with the Approved Person Scheme and review:
Find out more about vehicle standards and modifications.
Making an application
If you live in Queensland and you want to apply to become an approved person, you need to:
If you live outside of Queensland and you want to apply to become an approved person, you need to:
- complete an approved person application
- attach to your application:
- pay the application fee (cheque or money order only, do not send cash)
- post these documents (including your cheque or money order) to:
Approved Person Administrator
Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 673
FORTITUDE VALLEY QLD 4006.
Criminal history checks
After you apply to be an approved person and pay the application fee, we electronically request a criminal history check from the Queensland Police Service (QPS). This is to ensure only suitable persons are accredited as an approved person. The suitable persons policy has further information about suitability requirements.
Criminal history checks issued directly to applicants by the QPS (or any third party) will not be accepted with your application.
If you were born in New Zealand, we will also conduct a New Zealand criminal history check. There is no additional cost to you for this check.
If you do not hold a current Queensland driver licence or customer reference number, you will need to complete the new customer application (F3503) and comply with evidence of identity requirements for individuals before making an application.
Application and decision-making process
- You will be notified in writing of the outcome of your application.
- If we require further information to support your application, we will contact you by email or telephone.
- If your application is approved, we will provide you with an approved person accreditation document.
- If your application is refused, we will provide you with an information notice providing reasons why your application has been refused and your appeal options.
In some cases, we may approve your approved person application for specific modification codes but refuse to approve other modification codes. If this occurs, we will issue you with an approved person accreditation document for the modification codes that have been approved, and an information notice for the modification codes that have been refused.
indicates required fields
Help us improve the content on our website or tell us what is working well. Contact us if you need a response.