Approved inspection station scheme
The Department of Transport and Main Roads requires vehicles to be inspected to ensure they meet the minimum safety standards.
Vehicle safety inspections are conducted by approved examiners at Approved Inspection Stations (AIS). If the vehicle meets the minimum safety standards, an inspection certificate is issued to the owner/driver of the vehicle.
Read more below about the AIS scheme and how to apply to be an AIS, nominee, or approved examiner.
Inspection Certificates Online
Inspection Certificates Online (ICO) is a web portal which enables an AIS to issue electronic safety certificates and COIs.
ICO can be used for all vehicle inspection types, including light vehicles, light trailers, motorbikes, heavy vehicles and heavy trailers.
ICO is free and reduces the cost of purchasing inspection certificate books. ICO also meets document keeping requirements under the Business Rules for Approved Inspection Stations.
ICO can be accessed using the web browser on a desktop computer or laptop or on the QLD ICO mobile app for Android and iOS.
For more information about ICO:
- visit the ICO Portal
- read Inspection Certificates Online
- read the ICO user guide
- contact the ICO Administrator at email@example.com.
Find an AIS
Find an AIS allows customers to search online for an AIS. Depending on the customer’s search criteria, they will be provided with the addresses and phone numbers of AIS that match their search criteria. It also includes AIS that issue electronic safety certificates and COIs or that provide a mobile service.
If your AIS information on Find an AIS needs to be updated, contact the ICO Administrator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the pages linked below to learn about the AIS scheme and how to apply to be an AIS, nominee or approved examiner. We also provide information for other applications that you may need to made during the AIS approval or approved examiner accreditation period. If you have any questions, contact the AIS Administrator.
- AIS Scheme overview
- AIS premises, inspection area and equipment
- When an AIS must have a nominee and how to apply
- Apply to become an AIS
- Make changes to your AIS approval
- Make changes to an AIS business structure
- Apply for a mobile AIS
- Multi-list an AIS
- Purchase inspection certificate books
- Renew your AIS approval
- Cease operating or immediate cancellation of an AIS approval
- Apply to be an approved examiner
- Approved examiner qualifications and experience
- Make changes to your approved examiner accreditation
- Renew your approved examiner accreditation
- AIS approval holder and nominee responsibilities
- Approved examiner responsibilities
- Inspection Certificates Online
- AIS compliance checks and enforcement.
AIS confirmation and compliance audits
If you are granted an AIS approval, a compliance check may be conducted by our compliance officers within 6 months of your approval. Further compliance audits may also be conducted during the period of your AIS approval.
The purpose of these checks is to assess compliance with the conditions of your AIS approval and the performance of your approved examiners and nominees. If you also have a mobile AIS, you must ensure that the mobile AIS is present at the AIS premises during the audit.
During the checks, you, your nominee or your approved examiner may be asked to demonstrate:
- how to access current legislation, the Business Rules for Approved Inspection Stations, the Queensland Light Vehicle Inspection Manual and the National Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual (where applicable)
- the operation of equipment that is being used as part of a thorough vehicle inspection.
The current AIS compliance checklist outlines what a transport inspector will be assessing during the compliance check. You can also review the checklist to help you prepare and ensure your AIS complies with the conditions of your AIS approval.
|Phone:||13 23 80 (ask for AIS Administrator)|
- Last updated 26 October 2023
- Find an AIS
- Approved Person Scheme
- AIS fee schedule
- Business rules for approved inspection stations
- ICO user guide
- Queensland Light Vehicle Inspection Manual
- Vehicle standards instructions for approved examiners
- National Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual
- Suitable Persons Policy
- Find a transport and motoring service centre or QGAP office
- Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC)
AP, AIS & HVRAS newsletters
- Edition 5—May 2022
- Edition 4—January 2022
- Edition 3—April 2021
- Edition 2—November 2020
- Edition 1—July 2020
- Approved examiner application form (F2339)
- Approved examiner renewal application (F5340)
- AIS nominee application form (F2203)
- AIS application form (F2272)
- AIS renewal application form (F4762)
- AIS scheme change/replacement application form (F4638)
- Evidence of identify information sheet (F4362)
- New customer application form for individuals (F3503)
- New customer application form for organisations (F5379)