Pacific Motorway M1 Burleigh to Palm Beach (Nineteenth Avenue)
We are upgrading the M1 between Burleigh and Palm Beach (Package B) as part of the Varsity Lakes to Tugun (VL2T) upgrade. This package will include significant environmental features through this sensitive section of the upgrade.
In this 3km section, we will be:
- widening the M1 to a minimum of 3 lanes in both directions
- upgrading the Tallebudgera Interchange (Exit 89)
- constructing six new bridges and widening existing motorway bridges
- constructing the northern section of a new two-way western service road starting at Tallebudgera (Exit 89) and continuing through to Palm Beach (Exit 92)
- building a fauna underpass up to 15-metres wide and 55-metres long to connect the Burleigh to Springbrook bioregional wildlife corridor
- continue the connection of a dedicated active transport path from Varsity Lakes that transitions to active transport paths on the new western service road
- using smart motorway technologies to help reduce 'stop-start' travel on the motorway
- replacing the existing concrete road surface with stone mastic asphalt for a quieter, more stable and durable road surface
- preserving a corridor for a potential future rail extension.
- Improves safety
- Better road access
- Increases capacity
- Reduces travel time
- Better active transport
- Reduces peak hour congestion
Two-way western service roadThe VL2T upgrade includes a new western service road with one lane in each direction, starting from the Tallebudgera Interchange (Exit 89) in Package B and continuing south to Palm Beach (Exit 92) as part of Package C. A 4-way signalised intersection will connect the new service road to Nineteenth Avenue to provide locals with alternative options when moving around their neighbourhoods.
Tallebudgera Interchange (Exit 89) upgradeExit 89 at Tallebudgera will be completely reconstructed to remove the northbound loop ramps. Signalised intersections will ensure safer travel through the interchange for motorists, bike riders and pedestrians, and provide a dedicated bridge across Tallebudgera Creek for the new western service road.
Active transport connectionsThe new shared bike and pedestrian path, constructed in Package A, will continue south from Burleigh to Tallebudgera, where it will then transition to on and off-road paths along the new western service road. New active transport options will also be included across the Tallebudgera Interchange and connect through to Township Drive and Tallebudgera Creek Road.
Environmental featuresPackage B features significant environmental improvements through this sensitive flora, fauna and aquatic area of the VL2T upgrade.
A new fauna crossing will be constructed under the motorway to connect the Burleigh to Springbrook bio-regional wildlife corridor. Some other examples of the wide range of treatments being undertaken include fauna fencing, koala habitat plantings and improved fish passages through Oyster Creek.
- Total investment
- $1 billion
- Australian Government
- $500 million
- Queensland Government
- $500 million
- 5-7 and 12-14 March 2020: Community information sessions held for Burleigh to Palm Beach (Package B) and Palm Beach to Tugun (Package C)
- 2020: Design complete on all three motorway widening packages – A, B and C
- May 2020: Construction started on Varsity Lakes to Burleigh (Package A)
- Late 2020: Construction expected to start on Burleigh to Palm Beach (Package B) and possibly Palm Beach to Tugun (Package C)
- 2021: Motorway widening on all three packages will be underway across the 10-km route
- Late 2022: Package A construction expected to be complete
- Late 2023: Motorway widening across the 10-km route expected to be complete
View the project newsletters for more information:
Varsity Lakes to Tugun newsletter