Pacific Motorway M1 Varsity Lakes to Tugun upgrade
The $1 billion Pacific Motorway Varsity Lakes to Tugun (VL2T) project is being delivered to upgrade 10km of the M1 and constructing in packages to ensure faster delivery and best value for money.
All 3 packages are now in construction and expected to be complete by the end of 2023. The project packages include:
- Package A Varsity Lakes (Exit 85) to Burleigh (Exit 87)
- Package B Burleigh (Exit 87) to Palm Beach (Nineteenth Avenue)
- Package C Palm Beach (Nineteenth Avenue) to Tugun (Exit 95)
- Improves safety
- Reduces travel time
- Contributes to economy
- Increases capacity
- Improves network efficiency
- Better road access
Widening 10km of the M1 from 2 to a minimum of 3 lanes in both directions between Varsity Lakes (Exit 85) and Tugun (Exit 95), including improvements to the road alignment.
- Extending all entry and exit ramps at interchanges, and significant improvements made to:
- Burleigh (Exit 87)
- Tallebudgera (Exit 89)
- Palm Beach (Exit 92).
- Widening the Tallebudgera Creek and Currumbin Creek bridges.
- Constructing a new 2-way western service road between Tallebudgera (Exit 89) and Palm Beach (Exit 92) and a new bridge over Tallebudgera Creek connecting the new western service road.
- Installing smart motorway technologies to improve travel time between Nerang and Tugun.
- Preserving the corridor for a possible future rail extension south of Varsity Lakes.
- Installing bike and pedestrian paths to improve active transport connections.
Jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments. Investment ID 852582
- Total investment
- $1 billion
- Australian Government
- $680 million
- Queensland Government
- $320 million
- 2020: Design complete on all 3 motorway widening packages – A, B and C.
- May 2020: Construction started on Varsity Lakes to Burleigh (Package A).
- Late 2020: Construction started on Burleigh to Palm Beach (Package B) and Palm Beach to Tugun (Package C).
- 2021: Motorway widening on all 3 packages underway across the 10km route.
- Mid- to late 2022: Package A construction expected to be complete.
- End 2023: Motorway widening across the 10-km route expected to be complete.
M1 Varsity Lakes to Tugun upgrade construction fly through
Find more details on specific topics: