The Queensland Government's vision for cycling, as set out in the Queensland Cycling Strategy 2017-2027, is for more cycling, more often. We will continue to invest in the highest priority connections on principal cycle networks across Queensland to make cycling safer and more convenient for everyone.
The Active Transport Investment Program (ATIP) delivers infrastructure that supports a safe, direct and connected cycling network. Some key cycling projects are below.
Active Transport Investment Program case studies
Case studies of innovative and fit-for-purpose ATIP funded projects are provided to show best practice and key learnings and to demonstrate the impact and performance of ATIP funded projects. The available case studies are below.
- Barr Creek Bridge
- Bicentennial Bikeway
- Eudlo Creek Bridge (Sunshine Coast)
- Mackay Cross City Link
- Mackay Gooseponds Trail
- Mann Street Cycleway
- Moggill Road Cycle Bridge
- North Brisbane Bikeway
- Redlynch Connection Pathway
- Samford to Ferny Grove Cycle Link
- Slacks Creek Green Link
Veloway 1 (V1) Cycleway
The Veloway 1 (V1) connects bicycle riders from Brisbane city to Maureen St at Underwood (along Pacific Motorway). The dedicated 3m wide cycleway extends 20km, providing a safe route for commuting bike riders. The V1 has been delivered in 5 stages—read more about the Veloway 1 project and further planned improvements.
Brisbane to Border—connected bicycle routes
We are planning continuous high quality, safe bicycle routes linking Brisbane to the border. These routes are being delivered through a series of projects—read more about these connected bicycle routes between Brisbane and the border.
Current major projects catering for cycling
- Bruce Highway Cairns Southern Access Cycleway
- David Low Way cycle facility
- New England Highway Cycleway—Highfields to Toowoomba CBD
- Pacific Motorway, Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill Upgrade
Recent major projects catering for cycling
- Bruce Highway Upgrade—Caloundra Road to Sunshine Motorway
- Captain Cook Highway—Smithfield Bypass
- Ipswich Motorway—Rocklea to Darra, Stage 1 (Granard Road to Oxley Road)
- Gateway Upgrade North
- Vines Creek Bridges replacement
Cycling Infrastructure Policy
Case study examples showing how the Cycling Infrastructure Policy has been implemented to achieve positive cycling outcomes are published on the Cycling Infrastructure Policy page.
- Last updated 30 May 2023